Monday, March 24, 2014

Olympian: Brain disorder made me stronger By Julia Clukey, Special to CNN

Editor's note: In The Human Factor, we profile survivors who have overcome the odds. Confronting a life obstacle -- injury, illness or other hardship -- they tapped their inner strength and found resilience they didn't know they possessed. This week we meet Julia Clukey, who made the 2010 U.S. Olympic team in luge and is the first alternate for the 2014 team in Sochi. Off the ice, she's faced many challenges, including surviving brain surgery.
(CNN) -- When I was first diagnosed with Arnold-Chiari malformation-- a brain disorder involving structural defects -- I was shocked.
After learning more about it, and then after successful surgery in 2011, I realized that I could emerge a stronger person, both mentally and physically.
Today I am able to continue to compete at the highest level in the sport of luge and continue to live life to the fullest. I remain committed to my sport as well as to sharing my story about overcoming challenges.
During my surgery, and in times of adversity, the most important thing for me has been the support of my awesome family and friends.
I had a new outlook on the sport when I returned to competition in 2012. While I knew my ACM was never going to be gone completely, I was healthier than I had ever been and ready to see what I could do as an athlete, free of my symptoms.
Read more here:http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/15/health/human-factor-clukey/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment