Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Going to work while sick...

This morning I looked outside and it was sooo windy and the temperature was in the low 30's and I had a smile on my face and felt happy.  
No, I had not experienced a miracle cure and was suddenly pain free and and all better. 
I realized I was smiling because I was not out side struggling to get to work.

Winters were the worse for me when I went to work because I would need someone to help me in my coat,  my right arm would 'stick' to my side in the cold, my right knee and ankle would hurt more and I would sometimes 'burn up' indoors with my coat on because I was too embarrassed to ask someone to help me get it back on.  

At work I had to concentrate harder to get tasks done and interacting with staff and colleagues because of the pain.  I couldn't take anything heaver than Advil to cope during a typical day at work, so I had to dig really deep to make it through the day.

I would have to call in sick sometimes twice per week and I hated that.  In the end I had zero sick, vacation and personal time left. When I took off from work it would be without pay.

 I did work from home a lot but it wasn't enough in the end.  

I loved working and wish I were healthy enough to do so again. I was very good at my job and was able to increase my budget every single year even in a bad economy.  A challenge was always what I needed to get motivated to meet and surpass the goal! 
I guess that attitude is what has kept me going through these past years.

My friend Gilda who was in her 80's when I met her, always says "honey you have to fake it 'till you can make it"  
  
I am going to look for a volunteer job for a few hours per week.  I know it may be difficult to get one since it has to me close to my apartment (walking distance, since I do not want to depend on anyone to shuttle me back and forth)  and I may not be able to get to the volunteer job on the days I am sicker.

It goes to show that we have to be grateful for all our blessings ...large and small. My life is definitely not what I imagined, but I feel blessed because I am still here.

No comments:

Post a Comment