Thursday, February 5, 2015

Living Abroad with My Chronic Illness - Italy - Seconda Parte


                                    Lighting candles at the Cathedral --Photo credit to Steve Brule



I am so happy that I decided to plan and make this trip to Florence, Italy!
I am thoroughly enjoying each and every single day here!  There is so much history and cool things to see everywhere. Although it is technically the "off' season the city is still buzzing with activity from both tourists and locals. This is especially visible on the weekends.  

I am also happy that I choose to live in a local Florence neighborhood and experience life with the locals.  The monks and staff at the Basilica di San Miniato on the hill know us since we have been there many times. We are also known at the local cafe down stairs.

The Basilica di San Miniato al Monte  is perched on the highest point in Florence. The church dates back to 783. It was rebuilt in 1018 because it was badly neglected.  The views from the grounds are breathtaking!  It is indeed a trek  to get up there but well worth it. 

At the Basilica, the priests and monks put on the Gregorian Chant.  "Gregorian chant is the central tradition of Western plainchant, a form of monophonic, unaccompanied sacred song of the western Roman Catholic Church. Gregorian chant developed mainly in western and central Europe during the 9th and 10th centuries, with later additions and redactions."   
The ceremony takes place in the crept of the Basilica on designated evenings for about an hour. Anthony, the young monk we met says they practice the chants daily.  It is truly a very calming beautiful, meditative experience.   
The Basilica is very cold and the crypt is even colder.  Hat, gloves and the warmest clothes are in order here.
On my second visit I bought my thermos with hot tea and had it on the walk home.


                                              Outside the Basilica at night after Georgian Chant

On the way up to the Basilica is the famed Piazzale Michelangelo (Michelangelo Square) with a magnificent panoramic view of Florence. 
"The square, dedicated to the great Renaissance sculptor Michelangelo, has copies of some of his works found elsewhere in Florence: the David and the four allegories of the Medici Chapel of San Lorenzo. These copies are made of bronze, while the originals are all in white marble. The monument was brought up by nine pairs of oxen on 25 June 1873."

The Square is a great spot to view the Duomo and the city of Florence.
My apartment is only minutes walking to these locations in the District of San Niccolo.  It is pretty cool that I can go just about anytime I want.


Photo view of Duomo and Florence from Piazzale Michelangelo


Usually I do not miss the Super Bowl but his year I did because my ankles were swollen and painful from the day's activities and I reluctantly decided to stay home.  We were planning to go to a local Pub called "Uncle Jimmy's" (it's a local hangout for expats) to watch the game at 12:30 AM Italian time.  I was rooting for the Seattle Seahawks but unfortunately they lost in a nail biting finish.  As Steve says it's "all good" because I also love the Patriots.   

We are having a bit more rain than when we first arrived... very heavy and consistent downpours for a few days.  In fact it rained so hard the other day and night that the River Arno which was raging wildly when I walked up to the Piazza Michelangelo the next day. 
"The River Arno crosses Florence, where it passes below the Ponte Vecchio and the Santa Trìnita bridge (built by Bartolomeo Ammanati, but inspired by Michelangelo). The river flooded the city regularly in historical times, the last occasion being the flood of 1966, with 4,500 cubic metres per second (160,000 cu ft/s) after rainfall of 437.2 millimetres (17.21 in ) in Badia Agnano and 190 millimetres (7.5 in) in Florence, in only 24 hours".


River Arno raging after heavy rain last week


A calmer River Arno and one of two bridges I can walk 
across to downtown Florence


I am getting to know my way around town and love a great bookstore/cafe called RED (Read. Eat. Dream)   It's a great place to sit and read, have a cappuccino or just "people watch".   I enjoy watching and listening to a group of about 6 - 8 older retired men who meet-up there practically everyday.  Although I don't understand what they are saying I can tell when they are in a heated discussion and when they are just plain mad at each other.  They look out for each other and share what they have.  They ALWAYS part as friends and come back the next day as friends which is really heart warming to see.

BTW:  I did try the hot chocolate again without incident :)

Living the Italian life...Until next week!  Ciao!!





Bookstore/Cafe...Photo credit to Steve Brule 


Outside RED yesterday...CD launch/Signing...Lots of 
tween and teens girls...Photo credit to Steve Brule



Sitting on my fav bench at the Cathedral of Florence
Photo credit to Steve Brule


On the way up to Piazzale Michelangelo





--Additional background information gathered from Wikipedia








No comments:

Post a Comment