Friday, February 20, 2015

Living Abroad with a Chronic Illness...Firenze, Italy - Terza Parte!

Ponte Vecchio - my favorite bridge in Firenze...over by the 3 arches one can see both sides of River Arno


I was sitting a few afternoons ago enjoying a great cappuccino and tiramisu in La Cité Libreria Café when I suddenly realized it was Thursday and I had not even started my blog.  I also realized in that moment that I was "living" and enjoying life here totally and completely!  This was just too awesome! 

Unfortunately, I had to hold off on my enthusiasm to write this Blog after already being tardy because I had been home bound for two days because of excessive pain along my shoulder and my entire right arm.   My posture has really suffered due to my constant pain and I have been trying to correct it.  But I am acutely aware that trying to fix my posture will not happen without even more pain. Today I am feeling better but my arm is stiff and sore.  It's part of what I manage in my present life and yes even here in Italy.  I must say though that I had a pretty good "run"... of escaping with only "normal" pain up to this point.  
It is harder to be patient and wait for the pain to subside while I am here in Firenze (Florence).   I just want to get outside every day but I know I must be patient because it can get worse if I push the limits.

My three bridge options to get to downtown Firenze are the Ponte Santa Trinita,the 
Ponte alle Grazie and Ponte Vecchio.
My favorite by far is the Ponte Vecchio which means "Old Bridge".   It is also known as the Bridge with Houses.
The bridge is said to have been built in Roman times and was destroyed by flood and was last rebuilt in 1345.  It was the only bridge in Firenze that was not destroyed when the Germans retreated out of Firenze in World war two.  It is believed that Hitler himself gave the directive not to destroy it.  Some buildings on both ends of the bridge were damaged but were restored with old and new material and design.


This is the entry to the Ponte Vecchio..it's crowded on the weekends


I live on the left side of the River Arno and the Ponte Vecchio and downtown Firenze is to the right

The other day I was out on the square and saw a host of Asians dressed in ceremonial garb and they turned out to be Koreans promoting their upcoming Traditional Arts Festival. They made their way through the square to the Ponte Vecchio where they gathered and burst out in song!

Korean Group singing. They stand between two of the arches on the Ponte Vecchio 


Steve and I went to LaCite Libreriacafe for a free dance lesson and to listen to a live band last week.   Unfortunately we got there a little late and the lesson had already began but the live band was great!    The dancing seem as if it would have been too much for me but it was great watching the guys and gals have fun.   La Cite was recommended by our new friend Matt from Chicago.  Matt is an App Developer who is also here in Firenze for his second extended stay.



Having Cappccino and Tiramisu at La Cité Café

Literally every square inch of Firenze has something interesting to see.  The other day Steve and I were just wondering along one of the narrow streets close to the Ponte Vecchio and came across some unusual art.  Creatures painted white with human bodies with heads of different creatures.  Some were scaling the wall of the Hotel while others were suspended in the air.
It was commissioned by the Gallery Art Hotel and created by artist and architect 
Simone D'Auria as a tribute to the city of Firenze to beautify the space.
The goal of the exhibit is to send a positive message and invitation to continue moving forward whatever the challenge maybe....to climb up...to be innovative and overcome one's limits!  
Which beautifully sums up my reason for being here in Firenze!

Until next time, Ciao!!


Awesome Art display near the Ponte Vecchio 

         
Suspended in mid air -  photo Steve Brulé

Hanging with the guys  - photo: Steve Brulé

                                                     These guys decided to take a break from scaling the walls and hanging around in the air                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

                                 The Ponte Vecchio as seen when walking from my apartment                                                                                                                                                                   
                         My favorite shoe store Salvatore Ferragamo...(Can you see our reflection?)




                   Street musicians on the Square playing awesome Italian favorites and other great songs.  
                                                 The little boy was just LOVING it!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment