Friday, October 11, 2013

My Medical Journey continues

Last March I had a Myelogram test to try to determine where some of my pain originated.  The test was very scary to me...

Myelography is a type of radiographic examination that uses a contrast medium to detect pathology of the spinal cord, including the location of a spinal cord injurycysts, and tumors. The procedure often involves injection of contrast medium into the cervical or lumbar spine, followed by several X-ray projections. A myelogram may help to find the cause of pain not found by an MRI or CT.
The process involves lying face down on a table, with the lower extremities secured tightly with straps to the table. After the skin area has been numbed, the dye is injected into the spinal sac, then the table is slowly rotated in a circular motion, first down at the head end for approximately 4–6 minutes, then rotated up at the head end for the same duration. Several more minutes lying flat and the process is complete. This movement insures the contrast has sufficiently worked its way through the spinal cord, followed by x-rays, CT, or MRI scans.
It was from this procedure that a nodule was found on my thyroid.  I had a Sonogram last May and my then doctor told me the result was negative... whew! relief!

I had not done an annual physical in over 5 years because I was busy with the brain surgeries and recoveries.  This past Monday I had one and my new doctor asked me about the results for the biopsy. I asked her what biopsy she was referring to?   Apparently it was recommended that I go for a biopsy and my former doctor did not relay that to me.

On Tuesday I went for a sonogram of my thyroid and this morning my doctor called and told me that there were changes from the last one and that I should go see an Endocrinologist she is recommending.
I am trying to absorb this latest news without worrying.   I wont call today for an appointment until Monday.

Stay tuned....

No comments:

Post a Comment